How To Reduce Potential Fire and Electrical Hazards That May Arise

Source

Electricity can lead to electric shocks and fires, both of which are very dangerous, and both of which are avoided by the use of a qualified electrician.

Fire is caused by overheating, and possibly by unsafe conditions around the electricity, including overhanging material. Electric shock is more serious, as it directly involves a body becoming part of the electrical circuit, therefore taking on more charge than it is capable of doing.

Fortunately, it is relatively easy to prevent both of these things, simply by following some steps.

 

Use Qualified Electricians

Rather than taking on wiring projects by yourself (more complicated than replacing fuses and light bulbs, anyway), try and ensure that you use an available electrician for all the work you need to do.

Having an electrician do your work means that you will have work which complies with safety codes, is done well, and is done in a manner which does not bring additional risk on the people who perform it.

Electricians will ensure that nobody is injured unnecessarily.

 

Use Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters

These interrupters are needed for everything that plugs in because they exist to mete out a temporary power supply.

GFCI works in everything, including extension cords, to make sure that everything is receiving the right amount of power, and nothing gets overloaded.

When working with a temporary power supply, make sure that all your electrical supplies have these circuits installed, and be sure to have a few extra ones on hand.

 

Check for Wires

If you are doing any DIY or home renovation, be sure to check for any wiring in the walls and roofs you are in the process of knocking down.

Especially if you are using power tools, cutting through electrical wires can result in a feedback loop which would result in you being shocked, perhaps fatally so.

Making sure that there are no wires is the best way to keep yourself and others safe.

 

Inspect your Tools

If you use power tools on a regular basis, then you will most likely know to inspect them, or at least know them well enough to see when they are running down.

If you don’t use them regularly, remember to inspect them regularly. The slightest problem with one of them can lead to shocks and electrocution for the users or can lead them to overheat and start a fire.

If you see any type of damage, make sure not to use the tool until it has been repaired and pronounced fit to use.

 

Insulated Tools

Insulated tools are different from power tools, but they both deal with electricity, so it important to keep an eye on them in the same manner.

Insulated tools should be looked over before every use since it is the insulation which is keeping the user separate from the current. If that insulation fails, then the current will reach the person, and thus they will get hurt.

Any cracks in the insulation mean that the tools are useless, and need to be thrown away.

What are you doing to prevent potential fire and electric fires?  Share your thoughts and comments below.

Cheers!

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

18 − nine =