As an avid smartphone user a day never goes by were I’m not accessing all sorts of private and important information, from documents on my Dropbox account to emails on my inbox. However what would you do if someone stole your phone?
This has been a real scare for me a few times already and I’ve only had my smartphone 8 months now. So in this article I’m going to show you how to protect your phone from hackers and thieves and show you a simple plan place to protect your valuable info.
Tools For the Job
The first thing you need to do if you want to protect your mobile phone is to get the necessary tools to help you out, and to do this I’m going to suggest a few apps that I recommend.
- Find My iPhone. The first tool to consider is Find My iPhone. With this app you can locate your phone by simply logging in with your Apple ID and password on any Apple devices or on your iTunes account. It allows you to sound an alarm so you can find it, lock the device so no one can use, and finally it also allows you wipe your iphone so no can steal the valuable info on your phone.
- Cell Phone Locator. The next option to consider is the Cell Phone Locator app. This app is a bit simpler to use to track and find a mobile device all you have to do is type in the phone number and it will bring up a map or were it is located.
- Phone Tracker GPS Pro. Last but not least their is Phone Tracker GPS Pro. This app is similar to the previous app in that all you have to do is enter the cell number of the phone you are trying find and it will scan the world looking for it.
I should also mention all 3 of these apps are completely free, however only the Find My iPhone app has the ability to sound an alarm, lock, and wipe your phone. Hence, I will be using this app to show you how to protect your mobile phone from hackers and thieves. Although, you may want to use one of the other apps as well as a good back up if needed.
If you don’t have an iPhone you may have to use one of the other apps I covered.
Putting a Plan In Place
Now that you’ve decided on the tools you want to use let’s get a plan in place to protect your phone.
- Download The App. First you’ll want to download the app to all of your devices. In my case I downloaded it to my phone, my wife’s phone, and even my computers have it so I can detect my phone from multiple places.
- Set Up iCloud. Next in order use the Find My iPhone app you will need to have your icloud account activated. To do this you will need to go into your phone settings and simple turn icloud on. This will allow you up to 5 gigs of free back up storage just in case you need to nuke your phone from hackers and thieves.
- Test. Finally, the last thing you need to do is test the app. You can do this by signing in with your Apple ID and password. From here you will be able to locate the device and preform the mulitple functions I covered above.